Unfortunately, not all of us are blessed with a flawless skin. If you are suffering from acne and pimples problems, you are not alone. It is more common than you know.
However, despite it being a common problem, finding the right treatment takes time and energy. You may have tried different acne solutions and still see no improvement. Well, do not give up just yet. There is one last option to try—coconut oil acne treatment.
Using a greasy product, such as coconut oil, to treat acne may seem like a horrendous idea, but it is an effective acne treatment.
The components found in coconut oil make it a powerful ingredient in treating acne and pimples.
Lauric acid makes up to 50 percent of coconut oil. It is a saturated fatty acid that has strong antimicrobial properties that fight off virus, bacteria, and fungi. And yes, you guessed correctly. It helps kill acne- and pimple-causing bacteria.
A study revealed that lauric acid found in coconut oil is an effective agent that prevents the follicular inflammation caused by Propionibacterium acnes, Staphylococcus epidermidis, and Staphylococcus aureus. However, despite it being notorious in killing these acne-causing bacteria, coconut oil remains to be gentle on the skin.
Capric acid makes up to 8 percent of coconut oil. Like lauric acid, it contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help with treating acne and pimples. While it may not be as powerful as lauric acid as studies have found out, it helps reduce the swelling of the skin.
Coconut oil not only helps cleanse and purify the skin but nourishes it as well. Vitamin E, which is a strong antioxidant, helps block off free radicals that damage the skin. While vitamin E alone cannot cure acne and pimple scars, it can help boost the healing process by providing moisture and preventing further irritation.
How to Use Coconut Oil Acne Treatment
- To open up skin pores, steam your face. Drape a towel over your shoulders and lean over a bowl filled with hot water for steaming. Steam face for 5 minutes.
- Scoop a small amount of unrefined coconut oil using your fingers. Rub between fingers to soften the coconut oil, then gently apply on the skin in circular motions. Make sure to cover all the skin on your face, especially the affected area.
- Soak a facecloth in hot water then wring it out. Place the warm facecloth on your face. Leave for 3 minutes.
- Use the facecloth to wipe out the excess oil remaining on your face. If you skin still feels oily after wiping, rinse with lukewarm water and wash with a gentle facial cleanser.
- Pat dry face with a clean and smooth towel.
Just remember that different skin types act uniquely to coconut oil acne treatment. It is best to use coconut oil in small amounts first to allow your skin to adjust to the new ingredient. Once your skin adapted well to the organic oil, you can use it as a makeup remover, among other uses for beauty.